OSINT, Curiosity, Creativity, & Career Pivots: A Conversation with Rae Baker
If you’ve been listening to this show for a while, you’ll know that we’ve touched on the topic of Open Source Intelligence (otherwise known as OSINT) several times. It is an area of information security that penetration testing that’s been getting quite a bit of attention over the past several years. When you think about the digital world we live in, where we have a proliferation of personal, organizational, and governmental data on the internet...and the simple fact that data likes to leak…we can safely predict that OSINT investigation techniques will continue to be in demand.
On this episode, Perry sits down with Rae Baker. Rae is the author of the book Deep Dive: Exploring the Real-world Value of Open Source Intelligence, which was released in April of this year from Wiley publishing. In this discussion with Rae, you’ll hear a bit about her career pivot to OSINT specialist from being a graphic designer, how creativity fuels her job, advice for aspiring cybersecurity and OSINT professionals, and a lot more.
Books and References:
- Deep Dive: Exploring the Real-world Value of Open Source Intelligence, by Rae Baker (Amazon Associate link)
- Kase Scenarios: https://kasescenarios.com/
- The OSINT Curious project
- YouTube Playlist from the 2022 SANS OSINT Summit
- YouTube video by The Cyber Mentor: Learn OSINT in 4.5 Hours
- Lockheed Martin Cyber Kill-Chain: https://www.lockheedmartin.com/en-us/capabilities/cyber/cyber-kill-chain.html
Perry's Books (Amazon Associate Links)
- Transformational Security Awareness: What Neuroscientists, Storytellers, and Marketers Can Teach Us About Driving Secure Behaviors, by Perry Carpenter
- The Security Culture Playbook: An Executive Guide To Reducing Risk and Developing Your Human Defense Layer by Perry Carpenter & Kai Roer
8th Layer Insights theme music composed and performed by Marcos Moscat @ https://www.GameMusicTown.com/